The Gois hasn’t always been there. It was created by two currents linking up with large quantities of sand and silt deposited during times of slack water.
Six key dates to remember:
- 1701: First mention of the Gois on a map
- 1766: First crossing of the Gois by Auguste Gauvrit of Barbâtre
- 1780: The first buoys are installed along the passage
- 1935: Paving of the road begins (completed in 1939)
- 1942: The Gois is listed as a classified site in the Vendée
- 1993: The Tour de France passes over the Gois for the first time