The Sébastopol Polder was taken back from the sea by means of the Dutch technique of creating polders. This know-how was imported to the island by the Jacobsen family who traded in salt with Noirmoutier Island. The dyke was completed in 1856. After being poorly maintained, it gave out in 1978, and the polder was flooded, saturated with salt that prevented any other crops from growing for years. In 1978, the Noirmoutier Island District acquired the Sébastopol Polder and launched a vast restoration, soil renovation and ecosystem preservation programme.
After being refilled with water for 20 years, the area is now cared for by the Noirmoutier Island District Community. The Sébastopol Polder was listed as a regional nature reserve on 11 February 2008.